Membership in USJLP
USJLP seeks to create a network of talented and diverse young American and Japanese leaders brought together to foster dialogue, friendship and understanding between the two countries. All members hold US or Japanese citizenship, enter the Program between the ages of 28-42 and have demonstrated leadership in their respective fields. Membership requires a commitment to participate in two consecutive summer conferences as a Delegate (one in Japan, and one in Seattle), and the intent to remain active in the Program as a Fellow (alumnus).
**Please note that the 2017-2018 application cycle closed on January 9, 2017. The following application information is for reference purposes only and will be refreshed with updated information at the start of the next application cycle in the fall of 2017.**
Application Procedures for the 2017 and 2018 Conferences
Japanese and American applicants should download the application cover sheet before preparing the online submission form prior to preparing the following documents in English:
- Completed cover sheet, with digital headshot photo embedded;
- A resume/CV listing achievements (recommended length: no more than two pages);
- A signed letter of recommendation from an individual who is a leader in your field;
- A personal statement of two to three pages by the candidate explaining the following: 1) how you have been, are, or will be a leader in your field; 2) your reasons for wanting to participate in USJLP; 3) how you might contribute as a Delegate (participant) and as a Fellow (an alumnus).
These application components should be prepared and submitted as separate PDF attachments via the online application form (details below). Only fully complete applications (including at least one signed letter of recommendation) received by Monday, January 9, 2017 will be considered for the 2017-2018 application cycle. Secretariats will send an email acknowledgement of application receipt within two business days after submission.
Instructions for Online Application Submission:
- Click here to access the online submission form. It is recommended that all candidates review the submission form in advance, so as to be familiar with the form’s instructions and the six (6) additional informational questions that candidates are to answer upon submission. (Please note that this form is responsive, and some of the questions are tailored to nationality; please be sure to select your nationality at the outset of the application form to view questions in-full.)
- The online application form collects each section of the application as a separate PDF file. When preparing your files, please be sure to include your full name and identify each application section in each file title. Please refer to the Application Submission FAQs to view the recommended file title format.
- Prior to starting the online submission process, at minimum, please be prepared to upload your final PDFs of the following three sections: 1) completed application cover sheet, 2) CV/Resume, and 3) personal statement. If you have collected your letter(s) of recommendation at the time of submission, up to three letters may be attached to the form as PDFs. Recommendation letter(s) can also arrive separately from the submission form (see Recommendation Letter FAQs for details); if one or more letters are to arrive separately, the name(s) and title(s) of each recommender must still be provided on the form at the time of submission.
- When completing the submission form, be sure to fill in all requested information, including responses to the six informational questions at the end of the form. Upon successful submission, candidates can expect to receive an automated confirmation to the email address provided. Secretariats will personally follow-up within two (2) business days to confirm that your application has either been received in-full, or requires additional attention. Should you fail to receive one/both confirmation emails within this time frame, please send a follow-up inquiry to email@example.com.
The Scott M. Johnson Fellows Selection Committee will be asked to present recommendations to the Foundation from among the pool of applicants. Due consideration will be given to diversity of gender, political, regional, social and educational backgrounds. The final decision on Delegates will be made by the Foundation. The Foundation intends to notify all applicants of the decisions in March 2017.
Questions? Check our FAQs regarding:
Acceptance and Deferrals